Have you ever dreamed of learning how to make croissants, puff pastry, choux paste or tarts? The French Tarte is here for you! Now's your chance to gather a few friends together for a hands-on pastry class in your own home.
All classes are taught by Le Cordon Bleu Paris trained pastry chef, Susan VandenBerg, who is based in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Susan is available for classes in the greater Grand Rapids area and the tri-cities lakeshore communities of west Michigan.
Croissant: We'll make this traditional laminated dough, also used in pain au chocolat and croissant aux amandes, and take home some fresh croissants.
All things tarte: You'll learn the techniques for pâte brisée and pâte d’amandes and bake delicious small tarts to take home. Tarts will vary seasonally.
Pâte feuilletée: We'll make classic puff pastry (another traditional laminated dough) and bake turnovers and vol au vent. Puff pastry is a great staple to have on hand for both sweet and savory uses!
Pâte à choux is all the rage in Paris! Choux paste is used to make eclairs, profiteroles and savory gougères as well as many other classic French desserts. You'll learn the technique of making the paste along with classic crème pâtissiere. Then we'll bake and fill these light and airy puffs and savor our freshly made gougères.
Gateaux au thé et biscuits: You'll learn the basics for making petits fours biscuits and sablés as well as two of the classic French tea cakes, financier and madeleine. Take home some goodies for your friends and family.
Brioche: We'll make this buttery, enriched dough, shape and bake brioche à tête and brioche Nanterre. Note: when making brioche at home, it's important to have a heavy duty stand mixer.
The world of meringue: learn the techniques for making French, Swiss and Italian meringue, plus just a few of the ways they can be used - buttercream, rustic macarons, dacquoise and chocolate chunk, nutty coconut French meringues.
- I will come to you, anywhere in the greater Grand Rapids area or tri-cities lakeshore communities!
- Your kitchen should have adequate counter space to work and ideally a convection oven. I will provide necessary ingredients and equipment.
- Cost is $60 per person for 2-4 students, due at the time of the class, by cash, check, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express or PayPal.
- For one-on-one sessions cost is $120 per session
- Class time 2.5 - 3 hours
- Provide your own favorite apron and rolling pin
- Recipe handouts will be provided
- Take home a finished product
- Classes are for all levels of bakers - no experience necessary!
If you are interested in scheduling your own class in any of the above topics, hop on over to the contact page and send me your request!